Tuesday 7 December 2010

Letter to Times of India


Dear Editor,

I am a religious follower and well wisher of TOI. I started reading it back in 1997 and still reading TOI. As I went to other countries, I switched to the online version. I have closely observed evolution of your online version and continuing addition of new cities in coverage, the most recently Gurgaon.

Today I am writing to draw your attention towards one of the most neglected and least integrated part of India- North East. In your city coverage there is not even a single city from the Seven Sister states which constitute together as North-East India. However I want to make clear that I am not from North East but from a Northern State. I am moved by one of the recent article in NBT and have many from friends from the same region.

It will be foolish to hope from political parties as these not wield much power. Government say North East is part of the country but I guess that is only on the paper. There is no any apparent effort to include with rest of the country. No wonder there is increasing militancy. I came to know recently about the situation but one article in your sister newspaper Navbharattimes.com.

Now my suggestion is to start section on North East if not in print, at least for online version. Not only from patriotism but from business point this present an untapped market. If you start as a nation’s leading paper, I guess you can tap on the most neglected part. The good thing is this English proficiency of North-eastern are much better than average Indian. By doing so you will be having first mover advantage.

Not only in terms of capital gain but also it will be a sign of patriotism and an effort towards a more inclusive India. The other thing actually by having their section it will give us more knowledge about them.

I believe you have all the resources and to take this action. With TOIs brand equity, companies will follow suit in advertising with TOI. Believe me it will be boost your revenue subscription by a great extent. In 21st century in the coming time the business, news is going to become more online. It will be in your best interest to do so. Take action otherwise it will be too late. I believe in power of media. People say “ pen is greater than many swords”.

It might be bit slow start but if you see long term then the gain will outweigh the current losses.

Apart from this I am having one more suggestion for you. In your Navbharat Times I like reader’s opinion very much. I am not sure it might be having some logistic problems as the user base is much bigger than Navbharat Times. I suggest you have same for TOI. Like reader's opinion not for commenting the already written articles but for writing new article.

Even if you are not going to implement these suggestions, I am expecting a honest reply being a well wisher of Times of India.

I am not a North-eastern but a true Indian wishing to see a more integrated India. There are only a few attempts towards the sorry state of affair. The only attempt I saw is by the Sharukh starred movie “Chak de” where the girl from North East says that they are treated like by calling names lie chinky, thupka or momos.

I am at the moment based in London but let me know if I can of any help.

Regards
Blue Mango

No comments:

Post a Comment